We consider all spaces on campus as opportunities for learning. Schools and University campuses are no longer seen as a series of buildings — as 'learning' containers — but rather a holistic combination of spaces all with the potential to contribute to educational impact.
Over the last 10 years, pedagogy has been undergoing significant change with the ubiquitous use of information technology. We work with you to find the right combination of learning experiences, from ‘teacher-led’ to ‘student directed’, that best suits your needs now and into the future.
Wilson Architects developed the ‘Learning Spectrum’. We use this tool to recognise the need to have a range of learning experiences that capture at one extremity ‘Teacher-led’ spaces and at the other extremity ‘Student directed’.
The Spectrum begins to imagine a range of enabled learning modalities the idea of extending learning beyond the classroom and generates a dialogue to critically discuss potential directions.
The findings of our research, including the ALTC research project, allow us to develop new and better strategies for designing education spaces for the 21st century. The keys to our strategy are:
1. All space should support a range of learning modalities.
Didactic, active, discursive and reflective modes are all considered and students are encouraged to logically extend learning from teacher-led space into student-directed study areas.
2. Education facilities should be conceived as connected learning places shifting the balance and relationship between libraries and learning spaces.
The Library is no longer seen as an isolated facility within a campus. Instead it is embedded within a broader educational context, blurring the boundaries between learning modalities and opening up the possibilities for richer learning experiences.
3. Technology is embedded within learning space, rather than acting as a driver for planning.
This allows technology to support and enable all forms of curriculum, without becoming the dominant focus of education.
4. A comprehensive understanding of the make-up of various cohort groups.
From whole school, year, discipline and group work cohort enables for better integrated planning as well as time tabling.
5. Space + Places need to reinforce communities.
All members of the education community (students, academics, non-teaching staff and parent groups) all need to be able to identify with place and their community to be able to develop better support networks and a sense of belonging.
Education Masterplans undertaken by Wilson Architects
University Library and Learning Space Masterplans
James Cook University
- JCU Townsville Verandah Walk (2017)
- JCU Townsville Pedagogical Plan (2012)
- JCU Singapore Master Plan Study (2012)
University of South Australia
- UniSA Teaching Infrastructure Masterplan (2016)
- UniSA Library Masterplans (2015)
- Jeffrey Smart Library (Education Consultant, 2014)
Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane
- QUT Kelvin Grove Education Precinct planning + new building (2016-2018)
- QUT Gardens Point SciTech Precinct Masterplanning & subsequent Science and Engineering Centre (2008 - 2013)
- QUT Kelvin Grove Library Masterplan (2008)
- QUT Gardens Point Library Masterplan (2005)
University of Queensland
- Humanities and Social Sciences Library; Duhig Library Masterplan & Refurbishment (1995, 2017)
- UQ Student Residences Precinct planning + new building (2015-current)
- Biological Library Precinct + refurbishment (2007)
- Collaborative Teaching and Learning Centre (CTLC) (2005)
- Ipswich Campus Library (2002)
- Architecture Library (2001)
- Law Library (1999)
King’s College, University of Queensland
- Building Fabric Audit (2013)
- College Masterplan (2011 + 2013)
University of Tasmania
- City Libraries Collocation Feasibility Study/ Masterplan (2016)
University of Sydney
- Fisher Library Masterplan (2001)
Central Queensland University, Rockhampton
- Library Masterplan + Refurbishment (2011)
Bond University, Gold Coast
- Library refurbishment + extension (2009)
- Library and collaborative learning masterplan (2006)
Monash University, Melbourne
- First Year Engineering Learning Centre and Active Teaching & Learning space feasibilities (2012)
- Lecture Theatre review on Clayton Campus (2012)
Deakin University, Victoria
- Library Masterplan (2006)
- Waterfront Place Campus
- Waurn Ponds Campus
- Burwood Campus
McGill University, Montreal
- Humanities and Social Sciences Library Masterplan (2006)
- Masterplan (2016)
University of South Pacific, Fiji
- Laucala Campus Library Masterplan & Redesign (2017)
- Brisbane Grammar School Masterplan (2007)
- Brisbane Boys College Masterplans (2012, 2015, 2017)
- Brisbane Boys College; Boarding House Precinct Masterplan & Refurbishments (2015, 2017)
- St Peter’s College, Adelaide Masterplan (2012)
- Townsville Grammar School Masterplan (2011)
- St Andrew’s Anglican College, Sunshine Coast Masterplan (2015)
- Mueller College, Brisbane Masterplan (2015)
- Carmichael College, Brisbane Masterplan (2016)
- Redlands College, Brisbane Masterplan (2017)
- Pulteney Grammar School, Adelaide Masterplan (2015)
- West End State School, Brisbane Masterplan (2015)
- Belconnen High School Modernisation, ACT Government Masterplan (2016)
Cultural Centre Masterplans
- Adderton: House of Mercy Rejuvenation masterplan and refurbishment (2017)
- Beenleigh Town Square Redevelopment (2016), Logan City Council
- Stanthorpe Regional Council Library and Art Gallery masterplan and refurbishment (2005, 2016)
- Old Redcliffe Fire Station Redevelopment, now Community Arts Precinct masterplan and refurbishment (2014), Moreton Bay Regional Council
- Caboolture Town Square Redevelopment (2013), Moreton Bay Regional Council