All Hallow's School
'Mary Place' Middle School
Most recently Wilson Architects have undertaken a number of projects for All Hallow's School. Against the context of an existing Masterplan and a whole campus heritage conservation plan, Wilson Architects proposed several changes, based around strategic delivery of services to the students. Additionally, the Master-planned Year Seven building impacted on the views to the original Convent Building. Wilson Architects re-planned it’s siting to locate it more centrally, setting up an overt dialogue with the heritage context. From Kemp Place a series of layered screens serves to modulate the scale of the building. The dominant element of the upper level sunshade screen uses a mix of colours fine-tuned to highlight the original buildings. Within the courtyard a wall with a large opening acts as a theatrical proscenium arch, transforming the back of the buildings to a framed backdrop.
The new Year Seven Building sits within a Heritage listed precinct on the eastern side of the All Hallows’ School campus. The building comprises a basement car park with 4 floors containing 15 classrooms, enclosing one side of a courtyard formed next to the 1919 University Wing of the Main Building. Associated external works includes a new tennis/netball court and the complete redevelopment of Catherine Court as outdoor student activity space.
Hamilton Wilson, Phillip Lukin, Sarah Mahon